A：這兩個片語看起來很像，但意思卻截然不同。as such 有兩個意思，第一個意思比較難解釋，大概是「以此身份」、「就其身份而言」的意思，係用來代替其前所提過的名詞，以避免重複。請看下面三句：
- I'm an English teacher, and because I'm an English teacher I hate to see grammar mistakes. (我是英文老師，因為我是英文老師，所以我不喜歡見到文法錯誤)
- I'm an English teacher, and as an English teacher I hate to see grammar mistakes.
- I'm an English teacher, and as such I hate to see grammar mistakes.
這三個句子的意思一樣，但以第 3 句最簡潔，因為它用 such 來代替句中的第二個 an English teacher，避免了第 1 和第 2 句出現兩次 an English teacher 的重複情況，合乎英文高度講究的「當省則省」要求。下面再來看兩個類似的例句：
- She's a famous singer, and as such she has made a lot of money. (她是名歌星，以此身份她已賺了很多錢)
- The film was a romance, and as such it had the usual happy ending. (這部影片是愛情片，這種片子通常有圓滿的結局)
as such 的第二個意思是「就其真正的意義來說」。例如：
- The shop doesn't sell books as such, but it does sell magazines and newspapers. (就書的真正意義來說，這家店沒有賣書，但有賣雜誌和報紙) -- 雜誌和報紙跟書相似，但它們不是真正的書。
- He isn't Taiwanese as such, but he's spent most of his life here. (就台灣人的真正意義而言，他不是台灣人，但他的大半生都在台灣度過)
such as 就簡單多了，它意為「像...之類；例如」(like; for example)，但 such as 和 like 或 for example 的用法並不相同，需特別注意 (以後會詳細討論)。現僅舉一例說明 such as 的用法：
- Many countries in Europe, such as France and Germany, use Euros. (歐洲有許多國家，如法國和德國，都採用歐元)