Down Under Under Water
Australia is usually in the news for its droughts, not its floods. This year is different, though, and heavy rains have caused biblical flooding. Thousands of people have lost their homes, and life across the country is in chaos.
The worst rains were in the northern state of Queensland. Flooded rivers burst their banks. In some areas, waters were nearly 10 metres over their normal levels. Many people had to evacuate, while in others, people worked to build defences to keep the water out. The damage will cost billions of dollars to repair.
Even worse, more rain is on the way. These heavy rains come from the La Niña weather system, which brings Australia unusually cold weather. Since La Niña could last up to 3 more months, Australians are facing a season of floods twice as long as Noah’s.
- Down Under 澳洲
- droughts 乾旱
- floods 洪災
- biblical flooding 非常嚴重的水患 (出自聖經故事)
- in chaos 混亂
- burst their/its banks 潰堤
- evacuate 撤離
- Noah 諾亞 (聖經故事人物)
In the West, writers often refer to the Christian bible. In one bible story, God floods the world for forty days, which is why ‘biblical flooding’ means very bad floods. Only Noah and his family survive. But Australia could still be getting floods for much longer than 40 days.
西方國家的作家經常引用聖經故事；其中一篇故事提及上帝因故製造的大洪災淹沒世界長達四十天，因此「biblical flooding」意指非常嚴重的水患。故事中只有諾亞和他的家人存活，而澳洲受到洪災的影響卻可能遠超過 40天。
- Thanks to the heavy snows at Christmas, the UK’s transport system is ____________.
- The long periods of ________ in Africa are responsible for the continent’s food problems.
- After Typhoon Morakat, the Taiwanese government promised to ______ people more quickly if necessary.
- In countries where heavy rain is common, houses are often built on platforms to protect against _______.
- When the Tam Shui river _____________ last year, the whole riverside park was under water.
- We’re going on holiday ______________ next month, to see Ayer’s rock and the Sydney Opera House.
- in chaos
- burst its banks
- Down Under
(資料來源：British Council 英國文化協會)