Stealth Fighter Signals New Arms Race
China’s new prototype stealth fighter plane, the J-20, has had its first test flight. Stealth planes have an unusual body shape and are made of modern lightweight materials instead of metal. This means they are harder to see and produce less noise than normal aircraft. It also means they are invisible to radar and are very hard to follow.
Currently, the US is the only nation with an operational stealth plane. But both Russia and China are working on new stealth fighters. The Chinese government have said their plane will not be ready until 2017 at the earliest. However, many in the US see this as another sign of China’s growing military power.
China’s military budget quadrupled between 1999 and 2009 as the country’s economy grew. In 2010 it was $78 billion. But the US still has the largest military budget in the world, at just over $700 billion.
- prototype 原型；試製品
- aircraft 飛機
- invisible 隱形的
- radar 雷達
- operational 可實際操作的
- military 軍事的
- budget 預算
- quadrupled 成為四倍
An arms race is a situation where two countries compete to make larger numbers of weapons, bigger armies, or better military technology. It often refers to the competition between the United States and the Soviet Union after World War II.
- The movie has a __________ of five million dollars.
- In the story, the wizard could make himself _________ with a magic spell.
- My company makes helicopters and other small _________.
- The town’s population __________ in just 20 years.
- I have built a _________ of my new invention.
- In Taiwan, young men have to do ________ service.
- The new MRT station will be _________ in 2012.
- The airport uses _________ to detect approaching planes.
(資料來源：British Council 英國文化協會)