Astronomers over the Moon about New Planet
Imagine a planet with a year that lasts a single day and a temperature much higher than on Earth. It may not sound much like home, but For NASA astronomers, this is as good as it gets.
In January 2011, scientists from NASA’s Kepler project announced they had found a tiny, rocky planet called Kepler-10b. It is very close to its star and moves around it very fast, so humans could not live there. Nevertheless, it is only 1.4 times bigger than the Earth. It is also made of iron and rock like the Earth – and this is what makes it so exciting. Most of the planets so far discovered outside of our solar system have been gas giants similar to our own Jupiter. The discovery of Kepler-10b shows that Earth-like planets really do exist outside of our solar system – and, one day, we could find a second Earth.
- astronomers 天文學家
- announced 宣佈
- nevertheless 然而
- iron 鐵
- solar system 太陽系
- gas giants 氣態行星
- Jupiter 木星
The phrase ’over the moon’ means very happy. It comes from a children’s nursery rhyme, which has a line where a cow jumps over the moon. The phrase became popular because soccer players and managers often used it in interviews when their team won.
「over the moon」這個片語意指非常高興，此說法源自於一首童謠，其中一句歌詞提及一頭牛躍過了月亮。當球隊比賽獲勝時，足球員和球隊經理在接受採訪時經常提到這個片語，因此成為一種廣為流傳的說法。
- _____ is used to make steel.
- Our ________________ has eight planets.
- _________ is the largest planet in our solar system, and is named after the Roman king of the gods.
- Kepler was a famous _________ who gave his name to the NASA project.
- Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus are the four ________ in our solar system.
- The weather was terrible, but we had fun ___________.
- The government recently _________ that teachers and soldiers have to pay taxes.
- solar system
- gas giants
(資料來源：British Council 英國文化協會)