Spiderman does it again!
Alain Robert, the French urban climber, has scaled the world’s tallest building in Dubai. Known by most as ‘Spiderman’, Robert took over 6 hours to climb more than 820 meters to the top of the skyscraper. Hundreds of people watched and cheered for the real-life superhero as he slowly moved up the Burj Khalifa.
The French daredevil has climbed over 70 of the world’s tallest buildings including Taiwan’s 101. In past challenges he hasn’t used any help to get to the top though on this occasion he did use some safety equipment to comply with the organisers’ requirements. ‘Spiderman’ can now take a well-deserved rest until the world’s next tallest building is completed and another dangerous challenge is set.
來自法國的現代建築攀爬家Alain Robert最近登上了位於杜拜的世界第一高樓。Robert以「蜘蛛人」的稱號聞名全球，這次他以超過6小時的時間登上高於820公尺的摩天大樓，當他慢慢地登上「Burj Khalifa哈里發塔」時，數百名群眾見證了這項創舉，並一同為這位真實生活中的英雄歡呼。
- urban 城市的
- scale 攀登
- skyscraper 摩天大樓
- comply 遵從
- daredevil 勇者；鋌而走險的人
- challenge 挑戰
- requirement 要求；規定
Writers often use certain phrases to make the events they describe more impressive. In the article the writer has used over 6 hours instead of 6 hours 12 minutes, and more than 820 meters instead of 828 meters. This has the effect of dramatising the event.
- He’s such a ______, he’s not scared of doing anything!
- A ________ for the job is to have experience working with computers.
- There are too many people in the city, so I really don’t enjoy ______ life.
- Taipei 101 used to be the world’s tallest ______.
- King Kong is a film about a gorilla that ______ the Empire State Building.
- He didn’t ______ with the judge’s orders so he went to prison.
- I’m going to run the marathon next year – it will be difficult, but I enjoy a ______.
(資料來源：British Council 英國文化協會)