英文：There’s a time and a place (for something).
說明：There’s a time and a place 後面通常接 for 再接名詞 (片語)。
- How could Felicia wear a dress like that to a wedding? Honestly, there’s a time and a place. (費麗莎怎麼可以穿著那種服裝去參加婚禮呢？真是的，做事情要看時間和場合)
- I don’t like to see people kissing in the street. There’s a time and a place for that sort of thing. (我不喜歡看到人們在街上接吻。做那種事要分清楚時間和場合)
英文：Someone won’t bite.
- Just ask Mrs. Huang. She won’t bite. (問黃女士就是了。她沒什麼好怕的)
- I think you should talk to your boss about this. Go on, he won’t bite. (我認為你應該跟你的主管談這件事。去吧，沒關係，他這個人沒什麼好怕的)
英文：Whom the gods love die young.
說明：英文也可寫成 Those whom the gods love die young.，亦有「天妒英才」之意。
- A: Mr. White died of a heart attack last night. (懷特先生昨晚心臟病發作與世長辭了)
B: I’m so sorry to hear that. He’s one of the greatest philanthropists in the world. (我聽了這消息很難過。他是全世界最偉大的慈善家之一)
A: He’s just forty-six years old. (他才四十六歲)
B: Those whom the gods love die young. (好人不長命)
- So many brilliant authors and artists died before the age of fifty that it’s easy to believe that whom the gods love die young. (許多傑出的作家和藝術家不到五十歲就撒手人寰了，讓人不由得地相信天妒英才)
英文：There are plenty of fish in the sea.
說明：亦可寫成或說成 There are plenty of other fish in the sea. 或 There are plenty more fish in the sea.。
- When Jack broke up with Anna, I told him not to worry. There are plenty of fish in the sea. (當傑克和安娜分手時，我對他說別擔心。天涯何處無芳草)
- Although there are plenty more fish in the sea, I haven’t really got over her yet. (雖然天涯何處無芳草，但我真的還忘不了她)
英文：Give me a break!
說明：亦寫成或唸成 “Gimme a break!“。
- Do you have to go on and on? Give me a break! (你非得沒完沒了地這樣下去嗎？你嘛幫幫忙！)
- You’re going to run for President? Gimme a break! (你要競選總統嗎？你嘛幫幫忙！)
英文：Every dog has its day.
說明：亦可用 every dog has his day. 來表示。
- Don’t worry, you’ll get chosen for the volleyball team. Every dog has its day. (別擔心，你會獲選加入排球隊。風水輪流轉)
- You may become famous someday. Every dog has his day. (有朝一日你可能會出名。風水輪流轉)
英文：Tell me about it.
- Tom: Man, what a pleasant day today! (老兄，今天天氣真是宜人啊！)
Tim: Tell me about it. (就是說嘛)
- A: The street is very crowded on the eve of Chinese Lunar New Year. (這條街在農曆新年除夕都會擠得水洩不通)
B: Tell me about it. (可不是嗎？)
英文：Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
說明：經常略作 the chicken and/or the egg?。
- Do you know which came first, the chicken or the egg? (你知道先有雞還是先有蛋嗎？)
- What do you say when a kid asks you: “Which came first, the chicken or the egg?” (當小孩問你「先有雞還是先有蛋」時，你要怎麼說呢？)
英文：What do you take me for?
說明：亦可用 What sort of person do you think I am? 來表示，這相當於說 I am not that sort/type of person. (我不是那種人)。
- Of course I didn’t tell Mary your secret － What do you take me for? (我當然沒有把你的秘密告訴瑪麗，你把我當成什麼人？)
- I won’t tell anybody － What do you take me for? (我不會告訴任何人，你把我看作什麼人？)