Kate and Wills Break Tradition
Viewers of today’s royal wedding between Britain’s Prince William and Kate Middleton may have a feeling of déjà vu. As in previous weddings, the couple will travel to Westminster Abbey in London with a parade and horse-drawn carriages. The ceremony will be attended by heads of state and international royalty.
However, in some ways the wedding will be far from traditional. The wedding is thoroughly connected on facebook, twitter and YouTube. More importantly, for only the second time in British history, an heir to the throne will marry someone from outside the aristocracy. Although the Middletons are now extremely rich, they are nouveau riche. Kate Middleton’s father made a fortune from an on-line business. Kate’s parents met when they were both working in low-paid jobs for British Airways, and Kate’s grandfather was a lorry driver. It seems today’s fairy-tale wedding reflects the changing values of British society.
- parade 遊行
- ceremony 典禮儀式
- head of state 國家元首
- connected 連接的
- heir 繼承者
- aristocracy 貴族
- reflect 反映
Many French expressions are commonly used in English. They can give the writing style and colour. Here we have déjà vu – to feel you have seen something before, and nouveau riche – newly rich.
通常英文的文章中會使用許多法文片語，使文章的寫作風格與內容更加多元化。本文使用「déjà vu」一詞表示「覺得似乎曾經看過某些事物」；「nouveau riche」一詞則代表「新貴」。
- Our classroom is fully ______; it has laptops and an interactive whiteboard.
- Violence in film ______ violence in society.
- In Taiwan, the president is the ______.
- All of these estates were owned by members of the ______.
- When he died, he left his son as his only ______.
- On National Day, there is a military ______ in front of the president’s office.
- My whole family came to my university graduation ______
- head of state
(資料來源：British Council 英國文化協會)